Dr. Darin Dichter is full time faculty at Spear Education. He’s a prosthodontist, but practiced general dentistry for a lot of years before heading to UCLA for a pros residency! We talk about Spear Education, restorative dentistry and residency programs. We discussed:
- How does Spear Education work? Online vs. campus? Seminar vs. workshop?
- What was pros residency like for someone who had practiced dentistry for a lot of years?
- How did Frank Spear react to Darin’s choice about residency? How about Gregg Kinzer? And Bob Winter?
- How does Darin feel about the “super GP” concept? (Darin doesn’t like endo)
- Are we “cutting bait” with teeth too early now that implants are so common? What about implant complications?
- “Minimally destructive” vs. “minimally invasive” treatment planning. Trying to treatment plan yourself out of a case.
- Wow does Spear talk about orthodontics a lot! Perhaps the least destructive treatment option out there.
- Treatment planning by “thinking out loud”
- The best way to break bad habits is not get them in the first place!
- Why is photography important?
- What’s the best way to make sure you’re always taking photographs?
Links from the show:
Dr. Craig Harder gives us a Clinical Hack of the Week about making a jig for immediate dentures to maintain vertical when you reline!
Corky Willhite is offering his amazing “Transitional Bonding” course at the Cosmedent CEE in Chicago on March 14-15th! This course focuses on the benefits and step-by-step techniques of transitional bonding, an extremely practical new option requiring little or no prep for most cases. This course will cover the rationale for using composite. Work on one tooth against an arch or plan for a full mouth rehabilitation. This hands-on course presents practical occlusal guidelines for predictable function and longevity – including increasing V.D.O. and building anterior guidance as well as how to handle bruxers and non-compliant patients. Go check it out at dentalhacks.com/Corky!
The Dental Hacks Nation closed Facebook group has over 25,000 members! Head over there to interact with other Dental Hacks listeners, guests and Brain Trust members every day, all day! Remember…if you don’t have anything “dental” on your FB page, we might decline your membership request. So IM the group or email us at email@example.com!
Go Hack Yourself:
If you have any questions or comments for us please drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or find us (and like us!) at www.facebook.com/dentalhacks. Or, if you prefer…give us a call at (866) 223-5257 and leave us a message. You might be played in the show! If you like us, why not leave us a review on iTunes? It helps us get found by like minded people and might even help us get into “What’s Hot” in the iTunes store! Go to this link and let the world know about the Dental Hacks! Finally, if you aren’t an Apple person, consider reviewing us on Stitcher at: stitcher.com/podcast/the-dentalhacks-podcast!
If you would like to support the podcast you can check out our Patreon page! Although the show will always remain free to download, our Patreon supporters get access to special bonus content including (at least) one extra podcast episode every months! Also be sure to check out the Dental Hacks swag store where you can find t-shirts, stickers coffee mugs and all sorts of other things that let the world know you’re a part of the Hacks Nation.