Dr. Michael Gunson is an oral surgeon who does just one thing. Orthognathic surgery. He joins Jason and Alan to talk about his understanding or the TM joint, occlusion and how that’s changed over the years. Some of our topics include:
- Treating the TMJ is complicated. No two joints are the same. No two patients are the same.
- What is temporomandibular dysfunction?
- Does the literature measure what we think it’s measuring?
- How is treating TMJ troubles like understanding schizophrenia?
- How does communication, listening and empathy relate to treating pain and dysfunction patients?
- Nose breathing and pattern recognition
- Pathology isn’t in the thing, the pathology is in the relationships of the things
- Adaptation and asking the wrong question
- Hormone imbalances and classic presentations of TM dysfunction/facial development
- The checklist gets longer and longer (like a CVS receipt)
- What is interdisciplinary treatment?
- Where do dentists fit in facial esthetics?
- Mike will be teaching in a new, updated interdisciplinary treatment planning course from Spear Educastion with rock stars like Dr. Rebecca Bockow, Dr. Gregg Kinzer and Dr. Jim Janakievski!
- What’s the best way to create an interdisciplinary team?
Some links from the show:
If you’re done being stressed from the mess, it’s time to have an organization conversation! Our friends at Zirc are here to help! Whether you need help with sterilization workflow, efficiency in the operatory or streamlining your storage…Zirc can help! Start YOUR organization conversation at dentalhacks.com/organizationconversation! You won’t regret it!
New Product Alert! Smart Scheduling by YAPI is here to help you keep your appointment books full and gain more new patients with online booking that is in YOUR control. Easily configure your accepted insurances, operatory/provider availability, and scheduling rules to match your unique workflows. Only qualified new patients can book their visit when they confirm their insurance – they can even take a photo from their phone! Your existing patients will have the easiest way to book their next cleaning when Smart Scheduling includes a link via text or email reminders automatically sent by YAPI. Dentrix users get first dibs on Smart Scheduling, but it should be available for Open Dental by the end of Apri! Plus…they’re having an amazing sale with NO SET UP COSTS in April 2021! Learn more at https://yapiapp.com/online-scheduling
Cosmedent’s Mirror Image is a provisional material that does EVERYTHING. Fast setting times, margins are crisp and easy to trim and it polishes like a dream! Available in a wide variety of shades and two different sizes: dispensing gun and syringe! Go check it out at dentalhacks.com/mirrorimage! If you try it you’ll love it!
Crystal HD Mirrors are the brightest view in dentistry! They’re amazingly bright and if you try them, you’ll never go back! And now Zirc is giving members of the Dental Hacks Nation an amazing deal at dentalhacks.com/CrystalHD!
Go Hack Yourself
If you have any questions or comments for us please drop us an email at email@example.com or find us (and like us!) at www.facebook.com/dentalhacks. Or, if you prefer…give us a call at (866) 223-5257 and leave us a message. You might be played in the show! If you like us, why not leave us a review on iTunes? It helps us get found by like minded people and might even help us get into “What’s Hot” in the iTunes store! Go to this link and let the world know about the Dental Hacks! Finally, if you aren’t an Apple person, consider reviewing us on Stitcher at: stitcher.com/podcast/the-dentalhacks-podcast!
If you would like to support the podcast you can check out our Patreon page! Although the show will always remain free to download, our Patreon supporters get access to special bonus content including (at least) one extra podcast episode every months! Also be sure to check out the Dental Hacks swag store where you can find t-shirts, stickers coffee mugs and all sorts of other things that let the world know you’re a part of the Hacks Nation.