Jason and Alan had the privilege to speak with Dr. Rebecca Bockow, a dual trained orthodontist/periodontist and cutting edge advocate for understanding airway. Rebecca has been teaching at Spear Education for a couple of years and will be one of the instructors in the newly revamped “interdisciplinary treatment planning” course that Spear is putting together. She’s also been featured on our “Queens of the Airway” episodes as well. The Dental Hacks had a wide ranging discussion with Rebecca which included:
- How does a dentist decide on a dual specialty and why orthodontics/periodontics? (spoiler: she almost ended up as a prosthodontist!)
- Expansion before expansion was cool
- The Airway “Ah HA” moment
- How teaching is a type of marketing for a reknowned specialist like Rebecca
- The paradigm shift to treating younger patients orthodontically
- Pediatric airway screening with a one page questionnaire
- What in the whole world needs to change to better address airway issues
- How can regular dentists understand and evaluate the literature about airway
- How to rehabilitate a patient with excessive wear/gummy smile and more
- Looking at how the malocclusion/skeletal development came to be
- What’s Rebecca’s “elevator pitch” about how to incorporate airway into your practice
- How do gummy smiles and airway relate to each other?
- How to open the palatal suture once you’re an adult (TAD expanders vs. Hyrax expanders)
- Surgery + orthodontics = airway magic
- What % of people breathe through their nose?
- How do we evaluate tongue tie?
Becca is a genius and if you get a chance to see her teach, DO NOT MISS IT!
Some links from the show:
The Voices of Dentistry is just over two months away! We have an amazing speaker line up, some very exciting exhibitors and the best party in all of dentistry! Go check it out and register at www.voicesofdentistry.com!
The Dental Hacks Nation closed Facebook group has 28,000 members! Head over there to interact with other Dental Hacks listeners, guests and Brain Trust members every day, all day! Remember…if you don’t have anything “dental” on your FB page, we might decline your membership request. So IM the group or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
YAPI can help make all of your holiday dreams come true! Jason was dreaming of smooth and effortless front desk efficiency and a giant YAPI puppy explained how his dreams could be reality! Go get your own YAPI puppy by getting a demo at dentalhacks.com/YAPI. It’s a funny name but serious software!
Go Hack Yourself
Jason: 00s Rock Anthems
If you have any questions or comments for us please drop us an email at email@example.com or find us (and like us!) at www.facebook.com/dentalhacks. Or, if you prefer…give us a call at (866) 223-5257 and leave us a message. You might be played in the show! If you like us, why not leave us a review on iTunes? It helps us get found by like minded people and might even help us get into “What’s Hot” in the iTunes store! Go to this link and let the world know about the Dental Hacks! Finally, if you aren’t an Apple person, consider reviewing us on Stitcher at: stitcher.com/podcast/the-dentalhacks-podcast!
If you would like to support the podcast you can check out our Patreon page! Although the show will always remain free to download, our Patreon supporters get access to special bonus content including (at least) one extra podcast episode every months! Also be sure to check out the Dental Hacks swag store where you can find t-shirts, stickers coffee mugs and all sorts of other things that let the world know you’re a part of the Hacks Nation.