Jason and Alan were joined by Chicago dentist Dr. Jim McKee. Jim is one of a special breed of dentists that has created a practice that focuses on pain patients and patients with TMJ issues.
- How did Jim become interested in occlusion and TMJ?
- How has imaging changed the game for Jim’s patient treatment?
- “The imaging isn’t for you. The imaging is for the patients!”
- How does pain relate to malocclusion and why is pain often the last thing to show up?
- How does Jim “front load” the patient education process?
- What are Jim’s favorite educational aids for TMJ/pain?
- How did oral surgeon Dr. Mark Piper influence Jim’s philosophy?
- Which comes first: airway or joints?
- What’s the best way to learn TMJ?
- How is he using CBCT in his office? How does he use the MRI?
- How did Jim build his restorative practice using the what he’d learned about TMJ and occlusion?
- Can you create new patient flow by focusing on TMJ? Why shouldn’t TMJ be a specialty?
- Are TMJ specialists a “dumping ground?”
- Direct vs. indirect treatment options for joint/muscle pain and the 4 R’s
- What is the best way to screen for TMJ issues? What questions should you ask?
- How can you find a TMD specialist in your area? What questions should you ask?
- Who should be on the interdisciplinary TMD team?
Some links from the show:
Some links from the show:
The Voices of Dentistry is approaching! We have an amazing speaker line up and the best party in all of dentistry! Go check it out and register at www.voicesofdentistry.com!
The Dental Hacks Nation closed Facebook group has 28,000 members! Head over there to interact with other Dental Hacks listeners, guests and Brain Trust members every day, all day! Remember…if you don’t have anything “dental” on your FB page, we might decline your membership request. So IM the group or email us at email@example.com!
Not all “paperless” is the same. You know, going paperless isn’t all about saving trees, but also saving time. Like with new patient registration. YAPI sets up your own custom welcome email that gets sent out automatically to invite your new patients to complete these forms online. Some other web forms can make it look like you’re playing digital thumb war with your phone because they aren’t actually mobile friendly…But YAPI new patient forms are totally mobile responsive for any device. YAPI was the first and the best at paperless. Why don’t you go check the menu at dentalhacks.com/YAPI. It’s a funny name but serious software!
You know Jason Smithson from numerous appearances on the Dental Hacks and you typically think of him as a direct composite guru. But did you know he also is an amazing teacher of ceramics? You can watch his course, “Minimally Invasive Ceramic Restorations: From Concept to Completion” at any time and on any device from the comfort of your own couch! Cosmedent is offering this virtual course and giving listeners of the Dental Hacks a great discount! Use coupon code “HACKS” at checkout at dentalhacks.com/virtualJason for $100 off the course!
The Crystal HD mouth mirror by Zirc is second to none. But be careful…once you start using them, you won’t ever want to go back to your old mouth mirror! Zirc is offering a special offer to listeners of the Dental Hacks Podcast! If you use coupon code “BOGO” on their website they’ll give you a “buy 2 12-packs and get one of the same 12-packs for free” deal! Go check them out at dentalhacks.com/mirrors!
Go Hack Yourself
Jason: The Dental Hacks Academy
Alan: Motive Podcast
If you have any questions or comments for us please drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or find us (and like us!) at www.facebook.com/dentalhacks. Or, if you prefer…give us a call at (866) 223-5257 and leave us a message. You might be played in the show! If you like us, why not leave us a review on iTunes? It helps us get found by like minded people and might even help us get into “What’s Hot” in the iTunes store! Go to this link and let the world know about the Dental Hacks! Finally, if you aren’t an Apple person, consider reviewing us on Stitcher at: stitcher.com/podcast/the-dentalhacks-podcast!
If you would like to support the podcast you can check out our Patreon page! Although the show will always remain free to download, our Patreon supporters get access to special bonus content including (at least) one extra podcast episode every months! Also be sure to check out the Dental Hacks swag store where you can find t-shirts, stickers coffee mugs and all sorts of other things that let the world know you’re a part of the Hacks Nation.