Jason and Alan spoke with Dr. Marcos Vargas who is an educator and teacher. Marcos teaches at the University of Iowa and explains why today’s dental schools aren’t maybe the same animal as they were 20 years ago.
- layering, color matching and how materials are simplifying
- simplifying means less inventory
- 3M universal shades are essentially the body shades from Filtek Supreme Ultra
- layering vs. bulk fill
- insurance patients vs. layering and “ultimate esthetics”
- “insurance company pays for function”
- what dentists know about teeth vs. what patients know about teeth
- what’s new with 3M bulk fill technology
- Marcos’s schedule at University of Iowa is split between research, lecture and clinical instruction
- How to practice in a dental school
- Dental school isn’t what it used to be, it’s much better to be a dental student now!
- Teaching digital dentistry in dental school
- Do dental students understand the debt that they’re getting into?
The Dental Hacks also had a chance to talk with Dr. Paul Feurstein! Paul is a dentist, writer and educator and let’s be honest…he’s a dental meeting warrior!
- Paul celebrates his 50th GNYDM
- He goes to a LOT of dental shows
- Dentists as inventors
- Are dental products addressing problems that we don’t have?
- Paul has created a dental character and now he’s become it!
- How is he using SDF?
- Paul’s connection to 3M
Some links from the show:
It’s time to sign up for VoD (January 24-25th at the Hilton Scottsdale Resort and Villas
The Voices of Dentistry is just over two months away! We have an amazing speaker line up, some very exciting exhibitors and the best party in all of dentistry! Go check it out and register at www.voicesofdentistry.com!
The Dental Hacks Nation closed Facebook group has 28,000 members! Head over there to interact with other Dental Hacks listeners, guests and Brain Trust members every day, all day! Remember…if you don’t have anything “dental” on your FB page, we might decline your membership request. So IM the group or email us at email@example.com!
HACKY NEW YEAR from the Dental Hacks and our friends at YAPI! YAPI is offering it’s special Dental Hacks Nation deal of $200 off at dentalhacks.com/YAPI using coupon code “HACKS200.” Plus, if you buy in January 2020, you’ll get a $100 Amazon Gift Card! So HACKY NEW YEAR to you! YAPI…it’s a funny name but serious software!
Can you really have “one cement to rule them all?” Cosmedent thinks so. They’ve got a new self etching resin cement that is really easy to clean up, has low film thickness and handles like a dream. If you’ve been hesitant to move to a resin cement for everything…Rock cement may be just the thing you need! Go check it out at dentalhacks.com/rock!
Go Hack Yourself
Jason: The Movies that Made Us
(The actor that Al couldn’t remember: Jackie Earle Haley)
If you have any questions or comments for us please drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or find us (and like us!) at www.facebook.com/dentalhacks. Or, if you prefer…give us a call at (866) 223-5257 and leave us a message. You might be played in the show! If you like us, why not leave us a review on iTunes? It helps us get found by like minded people and might even help us get into “What’s Hot” in the iTunes store! Go to this link and let the world know about the Dental Hacks! Finally, if you aren’t an Apple person, consider reviewing us on Stitcher at: stitcher.com/podcast/the-dentalhacks-podcast!
If you would like to support the podcast you can check out our Patreon page! Although the show will always remain free to download, our Patreon supporters get access to special bonus content including (at least) one extra podcast episode every months! Also be sure to check out the Dental Hacks swag store where you can find t-shirts, stickers coffee mugs and all sorts of other things that let the world know you’re a part of the Hacks Nation.