Today’s episode is an Encore edition featuring the one and only Dr. Frank Spear from the 2019 Spear Summit in Scottsdale, AZ! Jason and Alan had an hour during the Spear Summit to pick up where we left off from episode 235 and it was very interesting. Frank opened the meeting with a talk that discussed the stories that dentists tell each other about where the profession is going and then presented some data that suggests a lot of these stories aren’t exactly true. Some of the things we discussed:
- Why do insurance companies cover thing so differently from state to state?
- The beauty of practicing in groups. But not necessarily a DSO.
- Could someone become Frank Spear in the way that Frank did considering student debt as it is now?
- How did beautiful temporaries make a difference in Frank’s career?
- Why does Frank feel responsible to help the narrative that dentists tell each other?
- What’s the data the Frank would really like to see?
- Why is it so impossible to compare dental businesses and income across the country? How can you compare apples to apples?
- Take home message: things are better than dentists are telling themselves!
- What is dental school like when your dad is Frank Spear?
- How could dental school teach things with more context?
- Are there useful parallels between dental and medical education?
- How will Frank’s teaching schedule be changing in the future?
- How is the curriculum at Spear Education changing?
- What kind of “big numbers” has Frank been impressed with lately? (spoiler: it has to do with Spear Practice Solutions)
Some links from the show:
The Dental Hacks Nation closed Facebook group has 29,000 members! Head over there to interact with other Dental Hacks listeners, guests and Brain Trust members every day, all day! Remember…if you don’t have anything “dental” on your FB page, we might decline your membership request. So IM the group or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Not all “paperless” is the same. You don’t have to look any further than your office manager! YAPI can help them avoid repetitive tasks that kill productivity at the front desk! YAPI was the first and the best at paperless. Why don’t you go check the menu at dentalhacks.com/YAPI. It’s a funny name but serious software!
Simply put…Crystal HD mouth mirrors from Zirc are the best mouth mirrors in all of dentistry. All you have to do is put one next to a regular mouth mirror and you’ll see the difference. The Zirc HD mirror is like watching 4k Ultra hd vs. the color tv you had in the basement that had that Archie Bunker clicker remote control. Seriously. That’s how much better they are. You’re thinking, “sure, bro. Whatever you say. It’s a freaking mouth mirror…they’re all the same.” To that I say. Nu uh. Not even close. Zirc is so sure you’ll notice the difference that they’re giving you a special offer. For a 4 pack of Black/Gray soft grip Crystal HD mirrors you order from the Zirc website, they’re going to give it to you for just $20 just because you’re a member of the Dental Hacks Nation! Use coupon code: SHINE4 at check out at dentalhacks.com/mirrors.
Go Hack Yourself
Jason: WaveOne Gold System
If you have any questions or comments for us please drop us an email at email@example.com or find us (and like us!) at www.facebook.com/dentalhacks. Or, if you prefer…give us a call at (866) 223-5257 and leave us a message. You might be played in the show! If you like us, why not leave us a review on iTunes? It helps us get found by like minded people and might even help us get into “What’s Hot” in the iTunes store! Go to this link and let the world know about the Dental Hacks! Finally, if you aren’t an Apple person, consider reviewing us on Stitcher at: stitcher.com/podcast/the-dentalhacks-podcast!
If you would like to support the podcast you can check out our Patreon page! Although the show will always remain free to download, our Patreon supporters get access to special bonus content including (at least) one extra podcast episode every months! Also be sure to check out the Dental Hacks swag store where you can find t-shirts, stickers coffee mugs and all sorts of other things that let the world know you’re a part of the Hacks Nation.