Jason and Alan had the privilege of sitting down with the one and only Dr. Frank Spear. We had an hour during the Spear Summit to pick up where we left off from episode 235 and it was very interesting. Frank opened the meeting with a talk that discussed the stories that dentists tell each other about where the profession is going and then presented some data that suggests a lot of these stories aren’t exactly true. Some of the things we discussed:
- Why do insurance companies cover thing so differently from state to state?
- The beauty of practicing in groups. But not necessarily a DSO.
- Could someone become Frank Spear in the way that Frank did considering student debt as it is now?
- How did beautiful temporaries make a difference in Frank’s career?
- Why does Frank feel responsible to help the narrative that dentists tell each other?
- What’s the data the Frank would really like to see?
- Why is it so impossible to compare dental businesses and income across the country? How can you compare apples to apples?
- Take home message: things are better than dentists are telling themselves!
- What is dental school like when your dad is Frank Spear?
- How could dental school teach things with more context?
- Are there useful parallels between dental and medical education?
- How will Frank’s teaching schedule be changing in the future?
- How is the curriculum at Spear Education changing?
- What kind of “big numbers” has Frank been impressed with lately? (spoiler: it has to do with Spear Practice Solutions)
Some links from the show:
The Voices of Dentistry is just over two months away! We have an amazing speaker line up, some very exciting exhibitors and the best party in all of dentistry! Go check it out and register at www.voicesofdentistry.com!
The Dental Hacks Nation closed Facebook group has 28,000 members! Head over there to interact with other Dental Hacks listeners, guests and Brain Trust members every day, all day! Remember…if you don’t have anything “dental” on your FB page, we might decline your membership request. So IM the group or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
You know Jason Smithson from numerous appearances on the Dental Hacks and you typically think of him as a direct composite guru. But did you know he also is an amazing teacher of ceramics? You can watch his course, “Minimally Invasive Ceramic Restorations: From Concept to Completion” at any time and on any device from the comfort of your own couch! He covers all kinds of veneer preps (including 0.3 mm reduction veneers) and vertical preparations! Cosmedent is offering this virtual course and giving listeners of the Dental Hacks a great discount! Use coupon code “HACKS” at checkout at dentalhacks.com/virtualJason for $100 off the course!
Not all “paperless” is the same. You don’t have to look any further than your office manager! YAPI can help them avoid repetitive tasks that kill productivity at the front desk! YAPI was the first and the best at paperless. Why don’t you go check the menu at dentalhacks.com/YAPI. It’s a funny name but serious software!
The Crystal HD mouth mirror by Zirc is second to none. But be careful…once you start using them, you won’t ever want to go back to your old mouth mirror! Zirc is offering a special offer to listeners of the Dental Hacks Podcast! If you use coupon code “HACKSPINK” on their website they’ll give you a free 50-pack of Pink Petals when you buy a 12 pack of Crystal HD mirrors! Go check them out at dentalhacks.com/mirrors!
Go Hack Yourself
Jason: WaveOne Gold System
If you have any questions or comments for us please drop us an email at email@example.com or find us (and like us!) at www.facebook.com/dentalhacks. Or, if you prefer…give us a call at (866) 223-5257 and leave us a message. You might be played in the show! If you like us, why not leave us a review on iTunes? It helps us get found by like minded people and might even help us get into “What’s Hot” in the iTunes store! Go to this link and let the world know about the Dental Hacks! Finally, if you aren’t an Apple person, consider reviewing us on Stitcher at: stitcher.com/podcast/the-dentalhacks-podcast!
If you would like to support the podcast you can check out our Patreon page! Although the show will always remain free to download, our Patreon supporters get access to special bonus content including (at least) one extra podcast episode every months! Also be sure to check out the Dental Hacks swag store where you can find t-shirts, stickers coffee mugs and all sorts of other things that let the world know you’re a part of the Hacks Nation.